The employee reads water meters and records volume used by residential and commercial consumers. The employees of the City are required to serve citizens and customers in a tactful, courteous manner; establish and
Salary starting at $30,081. This is a FULL TIME salary position. The City offers a generous benefit package; paid vacation, sick and holiday; short-term disability & life insurance; pension plan.
Nature of Work Duties:
- Drives City vehicle over established route and takes readings from ARB outside of home or business with uni-gun
- Records in uni-gun note section appropriate notes. Example: meter box location, dog in yard
- Inspects connections for damage. If outside box or wire is damaged, then the reader enters it into the note section of the uni-gun
- Returns uni-gun to business office for billing purposes
- Maintains work assigned equipment and does other tasks as assigned
Environmental Conditions and Equipment Used:
- Exposure to indoor and outdoor weather conditions and exposure to animals
- Uses tools and equipment that are relative to the position, including tools, shovel for meter pits, a uni-gun, etc.
Minimum Training, Licensing, Education and Experience:
- Needs a skill and ability to use common hand tools, an ability to read street signs/road maps and an ability to carry out oral or written instructions
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Ability to work well and maintain good relationships with employees and the public
- An ability to maintain good attendance and be able to be insured
- Must be 18 years of age or older with a High School diploma or equivalent
- A valid State of Michigan driver’s license is required, and must meet general government Civil Service driving standards
- Must be able to pass a Civil Service examination process which includes a drug screening
Specifications (skills, mental and physical):
- Must have the ability to apply principles of rational systems to solve problems and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form
- Must be able to read at a level to understand procedures and methods related to the job, as well as communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Must have math ability that includes basic math skills
- Must be able to complete light work that includes exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, or up to 10 pounds of force frequently or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work
- Must be able to complete work duties that include reaching, handling, fingering, feeling and repetitive motions
- Must have hearing to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and receive detailed information through oral communication and/or make fine distinctions in sound
- Must have visual acuity for determining accuracy, thoroughness of work and observation of general surroundings and activities
- Must be able to adapt to changing situations, work well with others and participate in a team-oriented environment
- Must be able to be customer oriented and maintain excellent customer service
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed, not construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that could be performed by a person in this classification.