Public Safety Dispatcher
Job Summary: The Public Safety Dispatcher will receive incoming calls on the 911 line, obtain relevant information, prioritize calls, and reroute them to fire department or police department. After an initial training period, employees work with considerable independence, subject to special instructions or orders to meet special operation circumstances or emergencies.
Compensation: Starting Salary $39,977.60 plus benefits after 90 days This is a FULL TIME, non-exempt position eligible for overtime. The City offers a generous benefit package; paid vacation, sick and holiday; STD & life insurance; pension plan.
Work Hours & Schedule: This is a highly responsible shift work position, involving the operation of modern communication equipment, including computers, radios, and telephones. The work of this division is maintained 24 hours per day, 7 days a week that includes weekend and holidays. Employees are assigned to work 12 hours shifts, with a five-day work week, followed with a two- day work week, alternating days and midnights every 6 months; lunches are consumed at the workstation and breaks can be taken away from the console (workload permitting). Dispatcher will not leave premises during an assigned shift. This is sedentary work.
- High school diploma or GED required; have earned 24 or more college credits in a related field preferred;
- Knowledge of computer usage and keyboarding skills with a typing ability of 30 wpm;
- Ability to act calmly and rationally under stressful situations;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Must meet all federal and state standards for LEIN operators in order to maintain employment;
- Relevant work experience of at least 3 years, preferred;
- Must be able to pass a civil service test and oral board exam (interview) with 70% or better; must be able to pass a pre-employment physical, including drug screen, psychological exam; background check.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER