Under the general direction of the Library Director or designee, performs a variety of library tasks requiring a working knowledge of library procedures. Duties may include planning and conducting age-appropriate library programs, assisting patrons with reference and reader's advisory questions, and assisting with the selection and maintenance of the library collection. The City of Dearborn Heights is a public corporation. The employees of the City are required to serve citizens and customers in a tactful, courteous manner; establish and maintain good working relationships with staff, directors, elected officials, and general public. Employees in this position must demonstrate honesty and integrity.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Starting Salary $53,000 to $58,000 and eligible for employee benefits after 90 days.
This is a FULL TIME salary exempt position and not eligible for overtime. The City offers a generous benefit package; paid vacation, sick and holiday; short-term disability & life insurance; pension plan.
- Master of Library Science or the equivalent from a school of library science accredited by the American Library Association(A.L.A), Required
- Must have a valid Michigan Drivers License
- Must qualify for state certification from the Library of Michigan as follows -
- Librarian's Permanent Professional Certification, or
- Librarian's Professional Certificate, or
- Special Professional Certificate
- Knowledge of modern library service techniques, practices, and principles including a summer reading program.
- Excellent customer service skills and an ability to work well with others.
- Ability to operate computers, their operating systems and a wide variety of advanced operational and related software programs, including web creation software.
- Must possess intermediate word processing, database and spreadsheet software skills.
- Ability to communicate accurately, clearly and concisely in written, verbal and electronic forms.
Must be able to pass a civil service test and oral board exam (interview) with 70% or better; must be able to pass a pre-employment physical, including drug screen, and background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following functions. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Plans and conducts a variety of programs and activities that encourage use of the library by children, including preparing and presenting Story Time Programs.
- Organizes and gives tours of the library and its services.
- Recommends goals and objectives for library youth services by evaluating the effectiveness of youth services in relation to the changing needs of the community.
- Content creation including library collection displays, bookmark creation, and the development of web page content.
- Develops bookmarks, web page content and other tools.
- Works as a liaison with schools and other community organizations to encourage use of the library by children and teens.
- Pursues and applies for grants.
- Performs collection development, including acquisition, evaluation, selection, and culling of assigned sections.
- Prepares library public relations materials relating to youth services, including preparing questionnaires and surveys.
- Provides reference and reader's advisory services through print and electronic resources.
- Keeps informed of current developments in library field by attending workshops, professional meetings, and reading current literature.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER