A laborer assists the Department of Public Works in maintaining public properties in the city. Work is performed under supervision and tasks include construction of an unskilled or semi-skilled nature; considerable physical exertion may be required; close contact with unpleasant materials and working out of doors under occasionally adverse weather conditions. Employee may operate light equipment if required by the job. The City of Dearborn Heights is a public corporation. The employees of the City are required to serve citizens and customers in a tactful, courteous manner; establish and maintain good working relationships with staff, directors, elected officials, and general public.
COMPENSATION: Starting Pay at $29,741 & 4 DAY WORK WEEK.
This position is a union, hourly position eligible for over time; generous benefit package with medical, dental, vision, STD/life insurance after 90 days; 14 vacation days after 1 year; 12 sick days; 5 personal days; 14 paid holidays; PENSION. Monday -Thursday 7am – 4pm
- Must have earned a High School diploma or G.E.D.
- Knowledge of materials and equipment used in general maintenance and construction work of city streets, highways, city buildings and parks preferred
- Must have a valid State of Michigan Driver’s license and a Commercial Driver’s license Group B with air brakes endorsement required; or ability to acquire such endorsement
- Must be able to meet General Government Civil Service Driving standards; pass a Civil Service examination & oral board; pass a pre-employment physical including drug screen.
- Must maintain weight and agility to work in an aerial bucket and be able to use common hand tools
- Must be able to climb in and out of trenches and excavations, must be able to climb latter up to 30 feet
- Must be able to complete medium work that includes exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects and/or 250 pounds with assistance of another person
- Must be able to complete work duties that include reaching, handling, fingering, feeling and repetitive motions
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Work as part of a crew repairing and maintaining public buildings & parks; paint structures; repair woodwork w/carpenter tools; minor electrical repair, plumbing fixture repair, plaster & drywall; building small structures; mow lawns, trim, weed, landscape; clean comfort stations; remove trash/rubbish; pour concrete; replace sidewalks; drive truck to haul dirt, topsoil; and other related duties. TO APPLY: Download and complete an application and sending to [email protected]
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER