The Cadet continuously monitors inmates in municipal jail and assumes responsibility for all the needs of inmates during detention.
$17.00/hour. This is a part-time position and is not eligible for benefits nor paid time off.
Nature of Work Duties
- Receives inmates in processing area and searches for weapons or contraband
- Processes inmates which includes securing personal property, accurately entering biographical information and offense codes into databases, photographing and fingerprinting.
- Securing inmates in cell area
- Continuous monitoring of inmates including accurately recording in electronic logs and promptly report health, welfare, and security concerns to supervisor
- Responsible for accurately recording all other relevant information regarding inmates
- May be required to subdue intoxicated, combative, and mentally ill individuals and potential exposure to communicable disease
- Maintains the security of the jail environment
- Accurately follows orders/directives from supervisors and adhere to agency protocols
- Feeds inmates at regular intervals
- Return personal property to inmates upon release and accurately record the release
- Cleans and disinfects cells and regular interval in accordance with protocols
- May be required to complete forms and perform other duties as assigned by a supervisor
- Part-time position which can not exceed 56 hours within a pay period in accordance with Federal Law.
Environmental Conditions and Equipment Used
- Exposure to combative, intoxicated, and mentally ill persons and communicable disease
- Uses tools and equipment that are relative to the position, including handcuffs, computer, CCTV, radio, telephone, electronic forms, etc.
- Required to work various shifts as assigned including day, afternoon, night, and weekend
Minimum Training, Licensing, Education and Experience
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have earned a High School diploma or equivalent
- Must have a valid Michigan State Driver’s license and be able to pass a criminal background check
Specifications (Skills, Mental and Physical)
- Emotional tolerance for interacting with intoxicated, combative, and mentally ill persons.
- Must have the ability to apply principles of rational systems to solve problems and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
- Must be able to read at a level to understand procedures and methods related to the job, as well as communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must have math ability that includes basic math skills.
- Must be able to complete light work that includes exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, or up to 10 pounds of force frequently or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work.
- Must be able to complete work duties that include reaching, handling, fingering, feeling and repetitive motions.
- Must have hearing to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and receive detailed information through oral communication and/or make fine distinctions in sound.
- Must have visual acuity for determining accuracy, thoroughness of work and observation of general surroundings and activities.
- Must be able to adapt to changing situations, work well with others, and effectively participate in a team-oriented environment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER