School Crossing Guard
A School Crossing Guard assists elementary school children in crossing busy intersections when children are going to or coming from school. The work is done under the direction of the School Crossing Coordinator and the Captain of the Police Traffic Bureau.
$17.00/hour for 2.5 hours per day 5 days per week. This is a part-time position and is not eligible for benefits nor paid time off.
- Directs actions of children and traffic at street intersections to ensure safe crossing
- Trains children to cross intersections in an orderly manner
- Maintain flow of children at intersections so as not to have children loitering
- Signals and gestures traffic in a distinct, decisive and understandable manner for stoppage to allow children to cross the intersections
- Records license numbers of vehicles disregarding traffic signals and reports infractions to police
- Reports suspicious vehicles or people to Police Department
- Escorts children across street
- Places caution signs at designated points before going on duty and removes signs at the end of the shift
- Performs other related tasks as required
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have earned a High School diploma or equivalent
- Must have 4 hours of professional training by a police officer and completed a 2 hour program conducted prior to school opening by a Crossing Guard Coordinator
- Exposure to outdoor weather conditions with no effective protection from the weather
- Exposure to fumes from automobiles and possible injury from traffic
- Uses tools and equipment that are relative to the position, including crossing guard vest, hand held stop sign, emergency card with numbers of local Police Department and Traffic Bureau, etc.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER